Vice President, Utility Intelligence
|Salary Range:||Based on Experience|
|Benefits:||SEPA provides employees a competitive benefits package including fully paid individual health and dental insurance, short and long term disability coverage, life insurance, up to 24 days of paid time off per year with an annual paid holiday break, and paid government holidays. Travel benefits and health club memberships are available to eligible employees. Employees are eligible to contribute to a designated retirement account with an employer matching program.|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Description:||The Solar Electric Power Association (SEPA) is an educational non-profit organization dedicated to helping utilities integrate solar energy into their portfolios. With more than 1,000 utility and solar industry members, SEPA provides unbiased utility solar market intelligence, up-to-date information about technologies and business models, and peer-to-peer interaction. From hosting national events to one-on-one counseling, SEPA helps utilities make smart solar decisions. More information about SEPA is available at www.solarelectricpower.org. |
The VP, Utility Intelligence will be responsible for SEPA’s internal subject matter expertise and the application of that expertise to support the organization's mission, strategic direction, and value to the membership. This new position will oversee the organization’s Utility Intelligence division which will include regional, technical, and policy experts. As part of the Management Team comprised of the CEO and three other Vice Presidents, this position will play an integral role in setting the strategy of the organization, identifying ways to grow and diversify revenue streams, and increasing value to the membership.
|Duties:||1. Lead activities of SEPA’s Utility Intelligence Division (~50% of time)|
• Lead efforts to continuously identify utility industry trends and the specific needs of the utility industry as it relates to policy, technical, business and other solar issues
• Responsible for the development of internal processes and protocols that ensure trends are identified, and the needs of utility members are communicated within the organization effectively.
• Responsible for incorporating trends and utility concerns into programmatic plans that may have an effect on all categories of membership.
• Lead SEPA’s efforts to convene groups of diverse stakeholders around complex issues related to utility use and integration of solar energy
• Develop and manage relationships and partnerships with peers at key stakeholder groups in the utility space that result in enhanced credibility for SEPA and opportunities to leverage resources
• Develop and manage a motivated and energized team of utility subject matter experts
• Lead the development and management of the Utility Intelligence budget
2. Lead the development, implementation, and management of new membership benefits and fee-for-service offerings which rely primarily upon utilization of SEPA’s utility subject matter experts (~35% of time)
3. Actively participate in Management Team’s ongoing strategic planning activities, annual development of goals and initiatives, and efforts to continually improve the SEPA work environment (~15% of time)
• Analytical visionary, capable of following and adjusting to rapidly changing industry dynamics and anticipating future needs.
• Creative and adaptable, with the ability to listen to member needs and create viable solutions.
• Proven track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and output.
• Resourcefulness combined with excellent decision-making judgment to lead internal and external initiatives.
• Demonstrated commitment to maintaining an objective and unbiased perspective on matters for which there is not unanimous agreement within the energy industry.
• Methodical and thorough approach to project management.
• Demonstrated competency in financial management, leadership in an entrepreneurial environment, systems thinking and effective written and verbal communication skills.
• Stature and confidence to build relationships through personal credibility and respect, with the ability to effectively interface internally and externally, including building and embracing a team approach in the work environment.
• Passion for SEPA’s mission.
• Ten or more years experience within an electric utility, with a broad understanding of all elements of the utility business
• 5 or more years experience in leadership and supervisory roles
• 3 or more years experience developing, executing, and communicating strategies to procure and/or build renewable resources within one or more electric utilities, preferably related to solar energy
• Experience leading the development of regulatory filings related to renewable energy and ushering plans through the regulatory process
• Experience conducting and communicating renewable energy market analysis
• Knowledge and understanding of various utility business models for solar energy, including their financial and business impacts
• Knowledge and understanding of renewable energy policies at the state and federal levels
• Knowledge and understanding of renewable energy grid integration issues, preferably both at the transmission and distribution level
• Demonstrated skill facilitating group discussion around complex topics with multiple stakeholder perspectives
• Demonstrated skill presenting to audiences with varied knowledge levels
• Experience conducting market research
• Commitment to the values core to SEPA: leadership, integrity, transparency, collaboration, approachability, responsiveness, expertise and balance
• Experience managing remote employees preferred
• Undergraduate degree required, Masters in Business Administration preferred
• Ability to handle typical office and computer related tasks.
• 10% - 20% travel to SEPA member/stakeholder locations, domestic and international meetings.
• Work location in Washington D.C. office
Apply on-line with cover letter and salary requirements directly to Solar Electric Power Association.
Direct applicants only
No search or placement firms
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.